We are a collective of mostly acupuncturists with massage therapists, physical therapists and athletic trainers in the bay area. Our clients range from athletes at the high school level to professional sports. We would like to share our experience and techniques we have learned through the years in these classes.
The main instructor for these courses is Johnson Chiu, L.Ac. We will have guest presenters from various fields in the orthopedics and sports medicine community.
Johnson Chiu, L.Ac., CMT
Johnson's interest in acupuncture and herbal medicine grew from his practice of martial arts. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Neurobiology from UC Berkeley and Master’s in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) from the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
His training includes acupuncture, herbology, nutrition, tuina (Chinese orthopedic massage), and energetics (Taichi and Qigong). In addition to an internship in China, he completed a 300 hour certification program in Acupuncture Orthopedics.
Johnson is a licensed acupuncturist with over 12 years experience in treating musculoskeletal pain and sports injuries. He has worked with athletes of all levels ranging from high school, college and professional sports. He has worked with the San Francisco State Athletic Program and supervised acupuncture students for a study on the effects of acupuncture on stroke patients at the California Pacific Medical Center.
In his free time, he organizes yearly trips to China to intern in the hospitals, enjoy the amazing tea culture and further study the practice and history of the medicine. He continues to update and renew his passion in traditional medicines with these ongoing studies in China and other parts of the world to learn and incorporate the natural medicine of different cultures into his practice.
He is licensed to practice Acupuncture and Chinese Herbology in the state of California and maintains private practices in San Bruno and San Francisco.
- Adjunct faculty at the Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences (ACCHS) and the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (ACTCM)
- Certified in Acupuncture Orthopedics
- Certified in Tuina (Chinese orthopedic massage)
- Continuing Education Provider to Acupuncturists with emphasis in the Musculoskeletal system, Orthopedics and Sports Medicine
- Currently finishing a clinical doctorate degree at ACTCM
John Ellis, L.Ac., CMT
My original plan to become a High School teacher changed after I was introduced to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) in 1997 while teaching English in South Korea. Convinced by TCM’s overriding principle of a ‘balanced life’, I returned to San Francisco and enrolled at the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (ACTCM) in 1999. It was there that I found tui na or traditional Chinese orthopedic massage. Within in the first few minutes of my first tui na class under Rocky Wang’s instruction, I knew that I wanted a practice specializing in pain management. Since graduating from ACTCM in 2003 I started John Ellis Acupuncture and Tui Na and have been practicing out of Potrero Chiropractors and Acupuncture ever since.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Master’s of Science in Traditional Chinese Medicine (MSTCM) from the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (ACTCM).
- Certified Massage Therapist in Tui Na from ACTCM under Rocky Wang, L.Ac..
- Private practice in San Francisco since 2003.
- 300 hour post graduate certificate in Acupuncture Orthopedics under Fred Lerner, Ph.D., D.C., at Cedars Sinai Hospital, Los Angeles, 2004.
- Active Release Technique: Lower Extremity, 2005.
- Assistant Instructor at ACTCM from 2002-2004: Diagnosis I-III, Sports Medicine, Needling Techniques, Beginning, Advanced and Practicum Tui Na at ACTCM.
- Tui Na instructor at ACTCM from 2006-present.
- Clinical Faculty at ACTCM from 2010-present.
- Mentorship with Rocky Wang, L.Ac., 2003-2005.